The Newark Public Library will be moving into Phase 4 of its reopening plan as of Tuesday, September 7th:
Hours of Operation:
- The Main Library will be open to the public, Monday from 9:00 AM – 5:30 PM, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 9:00 AM – 8:30 PM, and Friday & Saturday from 9 AM to 5:30 PM. Main Library will be closed on Sunday. Computer services will end 10 minutes before closing time
- The Branches will be open to the public, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, 9:30 AM to 5:30 PM; Wednesdays, 1 PM to 8 PM; and Saturdays from 11 AM to 3 PM. Branch Libraries will be closed on Sunday and Monday. Computer services will end 10 minutes before closing time.
- Wear a mask: Appropriate and effective face coverings/masks are mandatory to enter the library building for staff and patrons. Nose and mouth must be covered to protect staff and patrons. Library will provide PPE including face coverings and hand sanitizer for staff and patrons.
- Maintain physical distancing: Follow staff guidance, posted signs and floor marking to ensure at least six feet of space from others.
- Stay home if you are sick: If you or anyone in your household has a fever, cough, chills or is otherwise not feeling well, do not enter the Library.
- Patrons will enter through the front entrance only.
- Stacks are open for browsing.
- Water fountains will remain closed.
- Seating within indoor spaces will continue to be socially distanced and limited to two hour increments. The outdoor courtyard at Main is available to patrons as socially distanced seating option, weather permitting.
- Grab and Go material pick up continues to be available.
- Meeting rooms and Centennial Hall are open and available to reserve, with social distancing and appropriate and effective face coverings required.
- Virtual library cards will continue to be issued through 12/31/21. Cards will renew a year from the date of registration.
- Café area at Main will remain closed for seating/lounging.
- We strongly encourage 2 hour limits for library visits.
Computers & WiFi
- Printing is available. Credit/debit card and mobile printing are available at the Main Library.
- WiFi is available in the Main Library courtyard continuously from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm. A charging station for personal devices, e.g., phones is available.
Reference Hours & Contact Information:
Reference hours will reflect the hours of operation for the Library at all desks. Hours are as follows:
Monday from 9:00 AM – 5:30 PM, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 9:00 AM – 8:30 PM, and Friday & Saturday from 9 AM to 5:30 PM
- Reference (including Children’s and Teen materials) firstname.lastname@example.org | 973.733.7779
- NJ Reference (Queries about NJ and Newark) email@example.com | 973.733.7775
- La Sala Hispanoamericana (plus Spanish Reference) firstname.lastname@example.org | 973.733.7772
- NJ Hispanic Reference (Queries about NJ Hispanic Communities) email@example.com | 973.733.4791
We reserve the right to update service protocols as needed and based upon CDC/state and local guidelines/mandates.