The Newark Public Library is thrilled to host an afternoon with United States Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor to celebrate the release of her two new children’s books, Turning Pages: My Life Story and The Beloved World of Sonia Sotomayor!
Sotomayor will discuss her life story, from her birthplace in the South Bronx through her journey to become the first Hispanic and third woman appointed to the Supreme Court. Her picture book Turning Pages, vibrantly illustrated by Lulu Delacre, shares how Sotomayor’s life was shaped and propelled forward by her family, her own determination, and the books she read. The Beloved World of Sonia Sotomayor is the middle grade adaptation of My Beloved World, her #1 New York Times-bestselling memoir. In sharing her own story, Sotomayor encourages children to read widely and dream big. She will answer questions that were submitted in advance during a Q&A portion of the event.
To encourage more children to attend, we are restructuring the event registration process. All current tickets and RSVPs have been cancelled and we will reopen the Eventbrite registration portal on Thursday September 6 at 8:00 PM, and encourage families with children to register. If you do not plan on bringing children, we ask that you consider not registering to allow more children to attend. We truly regret the inconvenience this change may cause, and we thank you for your patience and understanding as we strive to make this event more accessible to young audiences, as intended.
WHAT: A Celebration of Turning Pages and The Beloved World of Sonia Sotomayor, Conversation, Q + A, and a Signing Line with Justice Sotomayor.
WHEN: Sunday, September 16, 2018. Doors open at 12:00 PM. Program starts at 2:00 PM. Due to high demand all ticket holders must be in their seats by 1:30 PM. At this time, unfilled seats will be given to individuals in the standby line.
- Priority seating in the main room will be given to families with children.
- There will be several overflow rooms where the event will be livestreamed. Although having a ticket does not guarantee that you will be seated in the main room at the event, all attendees with books will have the opportunity to meet Justice Sotomayor in the Signing Line.
- People must have a copy of either Turning Pages, Pasando Páginas, or The Beloved World of Sonia Sotomayor to enter the Signing Line.
- The Newark Public Library is extremely grateful to the Friends of the Hispanic Research and Information Center and the New Jersey Hispanic Bar Association for generously providing the funding for a limited number of free books to be given away at the event.
- Books will also be for sale at the event via Watchung Booksellers, including Turning Pages: My Life Story, Pasando Páginas: La historia de mi vida (Spanish Edition) and The Beloved World of Sonia Sotomayor.
WHERE: Newark Public Library, 5 Washington Street, Newark, NJ 07102
IF YOU HAVE A TICKET you must be in your seat by 1:30 PM on the day of event or you will forfeit your seat.
IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A TICKET you may line up outside the Library on the day of the event. Additional seats open up at 1:30 PM, but – please be aware – unfortunately there is no guarantee you will be granted entry.
Q. How do I submit a question for Sotomayor to answer?
A. You must be registered on Eventbrite to submit a question. You will receive an e-mail survey after you register where you can submit your question for Sotomayor.
Q.The event is sold out. Can I still attend?
A. limited number of standby seats will be available on the day of the event. Line up outside the library for a chance to get a standby seat. After 1:30 PM unfilled seats will be given to people in the standby line, in the order by which they lined up. NOTE: THERE IS NO GUARANTEED ENTRY TO THIS EVENT WITHOUT A TICKET.
Q. What time do I have to get there?
A. Doors open at 12:00 PM. All ticket holders must be in their seats by 1:30 PM on the day of the event.
Q. Is there parking nearby?
A. Parking will be available at the Bears and Eagles Stadium Parking Lot located on Bridge Street between McCarter Highway and Atlantic Street from 12 PM to 7 PM.
Q. Can I bring a bag?
A. All bags will be subject to search similar to airport security.