Thank you for your interest in volunteering at the Newark Public Library.
The goal of the Library volunteer program is to utilize the skills and interests of our volunteers in our branches and at the Main Library to maximize the level of service that the Library provides to our patrons. Positions are designed to match a volunteer’s skills, interests, and schedule.
Thank you for your interest in this important community service program. Your willingness to serve will help support the Library’s historic commitment to providing the very best library service while keeping our promise to offer free and open access to all.
There are multiple ways to volunteer. Below is a list of possible positions that might be of your interest:
- Activity Assistant – provide support to create arts and recreational projects and activities.
- Administrative Support – assist with general administrative tasks.
- Community Outreach – assists the Library by sharing its programs and projects with family, friends, co-workers, church members, etc.
- Computer Literacy Tutor – assists interested people with their computer skills.
- Curators and Exhibitors – assists with exhibitions.
- English Conversation Tutor – assists new Americans with their English skills.
- Event volunteers – assists during events as ushers, at signage table, at coat roam, etc.
- Financial Education Tutor – assists interested people with basic financial knowledge and skills.
- Fundraising through Community (Affinity) Groups – You can join one of our affinity groups (Friends of HRIC, Friends of JBAAR, Friends of the Library) and help to fundraise funds with like-minded members.
- Gala committee member – assists with the success of the Annual Gala.
- Graphic design – assists with the creation of flyers, brochures, newsletters, etc.
- Hobbies Tutors: (Chess, Knitting, Crocheting, Drawing, etc.).
- Homework Helper – assists students with homework.
- Library Aide – assists with providing general library support to librarians.
- Library Ambassadors or Liaisons – assists with support during Open Houses, reading to Children or the Blind, Translating to users who need help.
- Library Researchers – assists users with special projects and requests for information.
- Literacy Tutor – assists non-reader adults to improve their overall reading comprehension.
- Online volunteers – assists by sharing about NPL, its programs and services through Social Media (Facebook, WhatsApp, Instagram, Flickr, Twitter, etc.)
- Photographers for events – assist with the important tasks of making sure that there is a photographic record of the programs, events, services and the daily life of the library.
- Pro-Bono Legal Aid – assists users and the library with possible legal questions.
- Prospect Researcher Analyst – assists with prospect research and analytics of data.
- Website Maintenance and Design – assists with the development and maintenance of our website and possibly with our affinity groups websites.
Current volunteer opportunities:
NJ Room – Continous – Scanning of 30,000 Al Henderson negatives
Event – One Time – Community History Day – Event Support
Computer Room – Continous – Assist users with computer questions
Please contact the Development Department at 973-733-7731 to make an appointment or by e-mail at, email@example.com.